The 300 yards of dirt track that connect Forest Hill Cemetery (the "white" cemetery) to the Weirsdale Community Cemetery (the "Black" cemetery) were particularly overgrown on my recent visit. Not much traffic, it seems, heads to this very quiet corner of central Florida. As I waded through the grass and weeds I worried just a little about the coral snakes that inhabit these parts – Dad saw one out here once – but these potentially deadly snakes are too small and shy to be a menace. And it really is a pleasant stroll, even on a muggy late afternoon in August. To your left, the currently vacant cattle pasture with its seasonal marshy pond, greened up after the recent thunderstorms; to your right, the back yards of Stonecrest's comfortable and well-maintained ranch houses for the 55 and over. They enjoy their active lifestyle, with golf and pickleball, but I wonder how many appreciate the quiet beauty of their local graveyards.
Florida's hills are pretty humble, being flattened old sand dunes as far as I can tell, but the contours create their own micro-habitats. Forest Hill Cemetery, for example, on its little rise, is shaded by pines. The Weirsdale Community Cemetery, more flat and low-lying, is shaded by live oaks draped in Spanish moss. I'm an oak man myself. The mushrooms agree.
Nice lookin bolete you got there, young man!
ReplyDeleteOak men 💪
ReplyDelete