Monday, February 17, 2014

Umiak kayak song redux

Three years ago I posted the lyrics I remembered from a grade school song in which one learns a few "eskimo words." I now realize that this post has garnered a number of comments over the intervening period. At the time, I promised to follow up with a post of the musical notes for the melody, which I then shamefully forgot to do. Anyway, here's a link to a midi based on what I recollect of the cheesy but catchy "Native American"-style melody, in the key of A minor. This only goes through the tricky "mukluk" verse... you can improvise the balance in the same style. Don't forget to include a dramatic ritardando and hushed pianissimo for the two lines just before the booming "Learn them if you can!" ending: a tempo, fortississimo!

Melody here.

Lyrics:

Umiak, kayak, mukluk, tupik,
Umiak, kayak, mukluk, tupik,
Umiak, kayak, Eskimo words,
Learn them if you can.

Umiak, a boat for many men,
Kayak, a boat for one man,
Umiak, kayak, Eskimo words,
Learn them if you can.

Mukluk, an Eskimo boot,
Tupik, an Eskimo tent.
If you heard an Eskimo say these words,
You'd know exactly what he meant.

Umiak, kayak, mukluk, tupik,
Umiak, kayak, mukluk, tupik,
Umiak, kayak,
Eskimo words,
Learn them if you can.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you. This morning we were out on the lake with my family and a few kayaks went by and I started singing this song. I learned it in the 60s in elementary school. No one I know is familiar with this song. Your blog is the only place I could find the lyrics. And I love the music. Now if only I could find someone singing it somewhere online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister and myself sometimes get in goofy moods and start singing songs from grade school and this is one of them...i have to laugh because somehow it just popped in my head and i googled it which brings me here.....Memories from a loooong time ago!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting this song. I remember it from elementary school too.

      Delete