Sunday, May 18, 2014

Magical thinking

I suppose the laws of physics could be considered "very prejudiced" against my desire to click my heels together three times, repeat "I can flap my arms and FLY!" and jump off the top of Half Dome... but then, the new national science education standards are not stopping me from trying...
The standards “handle global warming as settled science,” State Representative Matt Teeters, a Republican from Lingle, told The Casper Star-Tribune. “There’s all kind of social implications involved in that, that I don’t think would be good for Wyoming.” Although oil companies like Exxon and Chevron have publicly supported the Next Generation standards, Mr. Teeters told The Star-Tribune that such teaching could wreck the economy of Wyoming, the country’s largest energy exporter. Mr. Teeters, who declined requests to elaborate, was joined in his objections by Ron Micheli, chairman of the State Department of Education, who called the standards “very prejudiced, in my opinion, against fossil fuel development.”

No comments:

Post a Comment