Sunday, March 28, 2021

Brood X

I grew up in Connecticut and I do miss cicadas, which could be loud enough to interrupt conversation and were so weird and big and cool when you actually happened to find one. That was not so easy, because despite their size they were well-hidden in the trees, and tended to shut up upon approach. I envy the east coasters who will enjoy the emergence of the massive Brood X, coming soon. I guess if I ever heard a periodical cicada in CT it would have to have been Brood II of the 17-year cicada, so presumably in 1979. More likely my cicadas were of the annual type. 

Can you eat them? Of course! Dr. Chris Simon, of UConn, "said she had one fried in Sichuan sauce but she doesn’t encourage people to snack on them. 'I feel sorry for them, growing up for 17 years, then someone eats them,' she said." 

No comments:

Post a Comment