Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Social Network

Finally saw it; quite liked it. I had enjoyed David Fincher's creepy serial killer movie, Se7en, but his latest is an even more disturbing horror film. There is no world-weary Morgan Freeman character to provide the moral compass amidst all the evil-doing. I do like Justin Timberlake, but I found his performance less than compelling, perhaps because he is assigned the weakest of Aaron Sorkin's otherwise snappy dialogue. Jesse Eisenberg, on the other hand, deserves whatever awards he garners. A better performance, even, than James Franco's hallucinating and sawing. Franco reveals all of himself; Eisenberg remains a cipher to the end- at least if like me you are unconvinced that the ending implies that our hero is a human being. The soundtrack is damn-near perfect. If I were Fincher I would have tried very hard to get Larry Summers to play himself. Maybe he did.

No comments:

Post a Comment