Saturday, July 4, 2020

The Koda family grows rice

Given California's water problems, it probably doesn't make sense to grow rice in the San Joaquin Valley, but if someone is going to do it, I'm glad it's Koda Farms. Founded in the 1920s by Keisaburo Koda, who had managed to slip around the Gentlemen's Agreement and arrived in California in 1908, the family company suffered a setback with the imprisonment of Japanese-Americans during World War II, but they returned to the business after the War and made a go of it. They produce various varieties of rice, some of which they sell at my local farmer's market. May I say that the organic short-grain rice is just about the best rice I have ever had? It is the starchy kind that benefits from a couple of rinses before being simmered (5:4 water:rice ratio) for 12 minutes after reaching a boil. Then let it rest a few before fluffing. They don't give it away, but trust me you'll be happy to pay.


No comments:

Post a Comment